COPYRIGHT, PLEASE NOTE

All the material on this website is copyrighted to J-P Metsavainio, if not otherwise stated. Any content on this website may not be reproduced without the author’s permission.

Have a visit in my portfolio

Tuesday, April 23, 2013

An other collection of images, Meade LX200 GPS 12"




My main instrument is an old Meade LX200 GPS 12" telescope. With lots of tweaking, it works as an imaging platform. An original fork mount has a largish periodic error but I'm using the Starlight Express active optics unit, LXV-AO, with it . With an AO-unit, the tracking error is more or less zero. Since I'm using the QHY9, with kind of small diameter CCD-shell, as my imaging camera I have reduced the original f10 scope down to f5 it gives me an effective resolution of about 0.8 arc seconds/pixel. It's done by "misusing" the Celestron f6.3 reducer by adding some extra distance to recommended 110mm. There is some light coma at the corners but I can live with it for now.


A collection of images with the Meade LX200 GPS 12" telescope, Baader narrowband filters and the QHY9 astronomical camera
(Be sure to click the image to see it in full scale)

All the images in this poster can be found from my PORTFOLIO, with some technical details.

A labeled version


The instrumentation
(What a mess...)

More images and info about instruments in HERE

I'm using two camera lenses, with the Meade, the Tokina AT-X 300mm f2.8 can be seen in the image above. Canon EF 200mm f1.8 is my second camera lens for the astrowork.
Image collections with both lenses can be seen in HERE.

Couple of my favorite images with Meade LX200 12" telescope

A two frame mosaic of IC 1805, the Melotte 15 area

More information in HERE

The Bubble Nebula in Cassiopeia








1 comment:

Matt B. said...

Your photos are phenominal!!