COPYRIGHT, PLEASE NOTE

All the material on this website is copyrighted to J-P Metsavainio, if not otherwise stated. Any content on this website may not be reproduced without the author’s permission.

Have a visit in my portfolio

Sunday, September 23, 2012

My equipment



I'm shooting my astronomical images from downtown Oulu. This is my collection of  gears needed for my astroimaging. Canon EF 200mm camera lens can't be seen in images here.

This is a new combination from old gears. Now I'm able to shoot with two cameras at ones! QHY9 is used for longer focal length work  with my old Meade LX200 GPS 12" telescope at about f5. QHY8, a cooled single shot color imager, is used with Tokina AT- X 300mm camera lens for wide field work.
Now I can have both, a closeup and a wide filed images, from same target at same time. I'll test, if color information from QHY8 camera can be used with images taken by QHY9 camera.

As you can see, I don't have any fancy gears for my work.
Not a pretty boy...

Lots of cords. They might look unorganized but I can sure you, there is a system.

Same image labeled



Light path from the telescope to camera. There is an active optics unit at middle. (SXV-AO)



Counterweight, Meade fork mount and the dew heater control box at right.



The other side of the scope. 
The ugly yellow fabric, at top, works as an insulation for the 
heater stripe at front of the QHY8 camera. It's heated due the frost.

Images taken with Meade LX200 GPS 12" telescope



Images taken with Tokina AT-X 300mm camera lens

3 comments:

SUPRNOVA bloggspot.com said...

congratulations for your equipment my friend,greetings from greece.

J-P Metsavainio said...

Thanks SN!

You should feel pity for me and my gears. This really works though but with so many troubles. I end up to fix this pile of **** more, than imaging with it.

Anonymous said...

Hi J-P,

Great images. What stands out is that these have all been taken with your own gear and not some distant internet robotic telescope on the other side of the world.
Cheers from Oz.

Richard. www.astro.chigby.com