COPYRIGHT, PLEASE NOTE

All the material on this website is copyrighted to J-P Metsavainio, if not otherwise stated. Any content on this website may not be reproduced without the author’s permission.

Have a visit in my portfolio

Monday, October 19, 2015

Filaments of Cygnus, "Ring Of Fire"



Start of the new imaging project, data is shot at October 7, Since the sky seems to be permanently cloudy now, I made this photo with the data I have. New exposures are 5h of H-alpha and colors are taken from my older Cygnus mosaic from 2012. I will continue with this image, when weather permits.

I noticed this interesting looking formation back in Autumn 2012 when I was finalizing the large 18-panels mosaic of cygnus.


The Ring Of Fire, a Cosmic Lasso
Ra 20 24 Dec +46 17, Click for a large image

Love is a burnin' thing,
And it makes a fiery ring
Bound by wild desire
I fell into a ring of fire.

I fell into a burnin' ring of fire

I went down, down, down
And the flames went higher,
And it burns, burns, burns,
The ring of fire, the ring of fire.
(Johnny Cash - Ring Of Fire, Lyrics by June Carter )

An experimental starless version
Click for a large image

Filaments of red glowing hydrogen stands out nicely in this starless version

A closeup
Click for a large image



Orientation in Cygnus
Click for a large image

Part of the 18-panels mosaic image of the constellation cygnus. Color data is from this photo.

New Info (Updated 25.10.2015)

I get contacted by Sakib Rasool, he wrote:

"I wanted to mention that this nebula is known and is catalogued as Du 2. It is a supernova remnant or planetary nebula candidate that was discovered by the French amateur astronomer Pascal Le Dû.


A lot of new planetary nebulae have been discovered by amateur astronomers in the past five years."


My first observation of this object at November 2011

Image was taken at November 2011. I removed the stars to see the nebula better.
Canon EF 200mm f1.8 optics, QHY9 astro camera and Baader narrowband filters.

At the time I was shooting a less known area at the Western Cygnus. This looped gas got my attention.


Technical details

Processing work flow

Image acquisition, MaxiDL v5.07.
Stacked and calibrated in CCDStack2.
Deconvolution with a CCDStack2 Positive Constraint, 21 iterations, added at 25% weight
Color combine in PS CS3
Levels and curves in PS CS3.

Imaging optics
Celestron Edge HD 1100 @ f7 with 0,7 focal reducer for Edge HD 1100 telescope

Mount
10-micron 1000

Cameras and filters
Imaging camera Apogee Alta U16 and Apogee seven slot filter wheel
Guider camera, Lodestar x2 and SXV-AOL



Astrodon filter, 5nm H-alpha

Exposure times
H-alpha, 15 x 1200s = 5h
Colors are from an older wide field image of the area


A single uncropped, calibrated and stretched 20 min. H-alpha frame as it comes from the camera


This is not a bright object


No comments: